How to Replace the Speedometer Glass
(some of the early model speedo bezels have had a problem with moisture infiltration in between the double glass panes.)
The speedo unit has a top section that holds the double glass with a seal, and the seal is what went bad. Replacing the entire speedometer assembly will reset your mileage. Here only the top frame and seal are replaced for $194.
Part # 1D7-8353E-00-00 CASE, METER UPPER $194.32
- Pull off the center dash strip by removing the three screws, unplug the three connectors and remove to a clean work area.
- Turn it over and you'll see three screws holding the speedo unit to the dash...remove.
- Now you have the meter which is white on the bottom section and black on the top frame that holds the glass.
- There are three rubber grommets with standoff washers in them.....push the washers out and force the rubber grommets out of their holes and set aside.
- There are 5 small screws that hold the upper and lower sections together.....remove them.
- Carefully pull the sections apart.
- Replace the new frame on the lower section, replace the 5 small screws, careful as they only attach to plastic so no brute force needed.
- Replace the rubber grommets, reinsert the standoff washers with the flat side away from the dash mounting tabs.
- Install the 3 screws holding the speedo to the dash, reconnect the wiring, install the dash screws and your done.